Frequently Asked Questions

. . . . . . . .

Frequently Asked Questions

About Your Vacation Booking

What does All-Inclusive (AI) mean?

All-inclusive refers to the hotel-plan that is presently in use by the majority of large Mexico and Caribbean 3-5 star hotels and resorts. In essence, an All Inclusive plan covers all your food, beverages, towel, and non-motorized watersports and sometimes tips. It is a “leave your wallet at home” approach.

What does European Plan (EP) mean?

A European Plan room rate includes the room and taxes but not any meals or beverages or many other amenities provided in an all-inclusive plan. These are found in Hawaii, California, and Florida Beach Destinations.

Isn’t Cancun mainly a destination for spring breakers?

Not any more. This may be perception that many have of this area. Over the past 10 to 15 years this has grown into a world class destination for families, romance, adventure, culture and much more. Spring beak is now probably the least of the customer segments seeking out the Cancun area.

What are my rights as a customer and traveler? Is there a bill of rights or anything like that?

Yes. We suggest every client complete and sign.

When traveling on Funjet:

When traveling on Apple Vacations:

What are the taxes and fees added to my vacation price?

The following per person charges are not included and are due with final payment: international fees and taxes up to $130.80, passenger facility charges up to $18, segment fees of $3.40 per domestic segment, a Hawaii arrival/departure tax of $15.00 (when applicable) and September 11th Security Fee up to $10. Various cancellation penalties, payment requirements and holiday/weekend/special event surcharges may apply, please refer to the Funjet Vacations Bill of Rights for details. All rates are subject to change with or without notice.

Should I purchase cancellation waivers or other insurance?

We recommend that you strongly consider the purchase of cancellation insurance at the very minimum. This will protect your vacation investment in the event that you have to cancel your trip. Each program is a little different so will discuss the options with you at the time you make your booking.

Here are the links to the two main vacation supplier programs:

Apple Vacations

Funjet Vacations

Prior to Your Trip

Do you have any recommendation for books about the Cancun area?
If you are planning a trip to Cancun, there are a number of great guides to the history, culture and tourism of the area. The Cancun User’s Guide by Jules Siegel provides insider tips on travel recommendations and language issues, as well as fresh insight on the culture and history of the Yucatan.
Travel Guides such as Lonely Planet Yucatan, the Rough Guide to Yucatan, Fodor's Cancun , Cozumel,  Yucatan Peninsula 2006 and Frommer's Cancun , Cozumel & the Yucatan 2006 provide useful planning tools and maps for your trip.
There are also a number of excellent sources of information on Cancun online. Jules Siegel’s website provides numerous recent articles about Cancun and area as well as tips on where to go and what to see on and off the beaten path.
Also, the airports and hotels in Cancun also offer a number of free guide magazines and maps.
More recommended reading about Cancun 


What are the requirements for getting married in Mexico?

For two citizens from outside countries to have a civil marriage ceremony in Cancun, you will need to provide:
Original and copy of birth certificates annotated and translated by an authorized

  • Translator certified in the Spanish language

Valid passports
Prenuptial clinical analyses of both parties for VDRL, HIV, and RH (results are valid for 15 days)
Original and copy of valid passport for two witnesses per party
Copy of legal immigration status: Tourist, FM3, FM2
Application and official oath of truthfulness
Name, age, nationality, home address and occupation of 4 witnesses.
Clients must arrive at least 3 working days prior to the wedding ceremony to submit all the documents.
Requirements for a Catholic marriage in Mexico are:
Certificates of baptism
Certificates of confirmation
Permission of the selected church
Two witnesses
A passport-size photo of both the bride and groom
Prenuptial counseling attended by both the bride and groom

How do I get a Passport?

We can help but here is a quick link to get you started:

What is the baggage allowance?

Airlines have different baggage allowances and fees. Please check with your airline for specifics. Carry-on luggage is limited to one bag per person and must be small enough to fit beneath the seat in front of you. PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT EXCESS/OVERSIZED BAGGAGE MAY BE DENIED AT CHECK-IN and if accepted, there will be additional charges. Anyone attempting to check-in excess baggage should arrive at the ticket counter a minimum of 2 hours prior to departure (3 hours for Mexicana Airlines), or risk being denied boarding. Lap children under age two do not receive a separate baggage allowance. Apple Vacations accepts no liability for loss or damage to luggage, although maximum care will be taken to ensure safe handling. All lost or damaged luggage must be reported to an airport representative at the destination before leaving the airport terminal. For details on baggage insurance, see your travel agent.

During Your Trip:

What identification and documents do I need to travel to Cancun?

Passengers returning from any international destination must have a valid passport, and for non-U.S. citizens, valid travel documents. Proper documentation is your responsibility. You will not be allowed to board your flight without proper documentation.

If your name on your passport (or for non-U.S. citizens, valid travel documents) does not match your name on your travel vouchers/tickets, you will be denied boarding.

Requirements as outlined below may change, so ask us or contact the consulate for the country to which you are traveling to be accurately advised of current requirements. The following information gives current requirements for United States citizens, effective at time of printing (February, 2010).

Passengers of all ages returning to the U.S. by air from any international destination require a valid passport. A state issued birth certificate with government issued photo I.D. is no longer acceptable. All passengers 18 and over traveling within the United States or to any U.S. territory (including Puerto Rico and the U.S.Virgin Islands) require only a valid government-issued photo I.D. For U.S. citizens traveling to Costa Rica, a passport valid for 30 days after the day of arrival is required. For travel to Europe a valid U.S. passport is required of all travelers and must be valid for six months after the date of return.

Here is information on how to obtain a passport. For information on obtaining expedited passports visit If you are not a U.S. citizen, contact the embassy of the country to which you are traveling to determine required entry documents. Failure to comply with the above requirements will result in you not being allowed to travel.

Upon arrival in Cancun, is it OK to stop and talk to the timeshare people?

As you exit the immigration area, there will be people on both sides whose job it is to get you to stop and talk and ultimately attend a timeshare presentation. We highly recommend that you ignore them and continue out to meet your ground transportation provider.

What is the exchange rate? Do I need to covert my dollars into pesos?

The latest rate is about 13 pesos for every U.S. dollar. This rate varies but is usually right around the current rate. Most places accept and make change in U.S. dollars. It is really a matter of comfort with doing the conversion. We recommend exchanging for pesos in $50 to $100 increments to use for tipping, cabs, and incidentals, etc.

Will my ATM cards work in Mexico and the Caribbean?

Yes they will. Some dispense on pesos and others dollars or pesos. Keep in mind that your withdrawal may be subject to a fee, so check with your bank before leaving home. Many resorts have ATMs in the lobbies as do other retail stores and area banks.

Will my cell phone work in Mexico and the Caribbean?

There is local cellular service. Very few cellular services will allow you to roam. Most cell phones will work, but they must be reprogrammed by the local service provider. If you bring your own, it will need to be reprogrammed. Remember to have your phone reprogrammed again before returning to the U.S. If you really need cellular service in Cancun it might just be easier to buy a new phone in México, especially if you will be coming back.

Can I use my laptop computer to get my e-mail and have Internet access?
You can bring your laptop computer, you will have to contact one of local ISP’s who will provide you with temporary Internet access for your limited stay. If you are staying in a hotel, most offer wireless access to their customers.

How should I handle my valuables and expensive personal items like electronics?

VALUABLES AND OTHER PERSONAL ITEMS ARE YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. Most hotels offer safety deposit box facilities. You may want to deposit cash, traveler's checks, passports, jewelry and other valuables for security. Do not pack cash, medication, jewelry, cameras, film, important documents or fragile items in your checked luggage.

Is it safe to travel to Mexico?

When is Hurricane Season?

The Atlantic Hurricane season begins on June 1, 2008 and ends November 30th. Check here for info: Tropical Weather Website.

Do I accrue Mileage when traveling on the scheduled air carriers?

Yes. Please make sure to provide your Frequent Flyer number or include in your reservation when booking online.

Miles accrued on United Airlines flights are subject to the rules of the United Mileage Plus program. United and Mileage Plus are registered service marks.

If I need assistance or need to book a tour who do I call?

Contact the Lomas Travel (when traveling on Funjet) or the AMStar representative (when traveling on Apple Vacations). Their telephone number can be found in your travel document and they also have scheduled hours on site at your resort.

What if I need a hospital or medical treatment during my trip?
The good news is that Cancun hospitals and other medical facilities are there for you. Cancun’s hospitals are very safe and modern so there are no worries – you are in good hands.
If you do happen to need care from a Cancun hospital, remember that Mexico does not accept medical insurance from other countries. For any extended stay, always purchase Traveler’s Medical Insurance before leaving on your business or vacation trip to a foreign country.
If you have a pre-existing medical condition, it is always good to know the location and contact information of Cancun’s hospitals and other medical facilities. Keep these on hand in case of emergency.

Here is a List of Hospitals in the Cancun Area:

List of Hospitals

At the Hotel:

If I have a problem with the room, who do I call?

First contact the front desk and explain your concern. If you are still not satisfied, the Lomas Travel or AmStar destination representative can provide assistance. And, of course, you can contact us for assistance as well.

Is it OK to drink the water at the resort?

The water here is treated and purified, but the distribution system is not so perfect. In most hotels and restaurants, you will get purified water, if in doubt – ASK. (Auga purificada, por favor.) I would not drink the water from a private home or condo, unless you know there is a purification system installed, and working. Buy bottled water; why not be completely safe? Don’t take the chance of ruining your vacation?

Do I have to tip at an All-Inclusive?

Tipping is not required but remember that the staff is providing a service and as such tipping is always appreciated. Also keep in mind that the wages in Mexico and the Caribbean are not comparable and tips are an important source of income for the people at the resorts.

Can I/should I make calls home from my room phone?

You can if absolutely necessary and there is no other option. The cost of a call from the hotel in very high. We recommend purchasing a phone card or ensuring that your cell phone is setup to work in Mexico or the Caribbean.

Is there a dress code for restaurants?

Although casual dress is the standard by day, many resorts have dress code requirements for dinner. In many cases, “casual yet elegant” dress is suggested for women. Men may be required to wear long pants (excluding jeans), proper footwear and shirts with collars. Gourmet restaurants may require men to wear a jacket. Before you pack, be sure to check with your travel agent or visit our website for detailed dress code information for your hotel.


Is it easy, safe and inexpensive to take a cab in Cancun?
You can get a taxi cab anywhere in Cancun, the cost is variable depending on the zone, fares to or from the hotel zone are the most expensive, we suggest you to arrange the price with the driver first. In most of the hotels you can find at the lobby area or by the bell boy counter a sign with the current prices for local taxis. The picture on the right shows the average size of the taxis, all of them are white and green stripped, it must have a number too. Capacity: up to 4 people without luggage or 3 with luggage.
Local taxis are not allowed to transport passengers from the airport, they can take you over there for your departure only. To go to your hotel from the airport you can use any transportation line located on the two terminals but be aware with the unauthorized persons working at the airport, they are commonly called pirates and you could end paying much more than the regular rate. We suggest that you pre-book your airport transportation service , it is more convenient, safe and easy.

How about buses?

It's convenient and very inexpensive, about U.S. $0.70 per trip to get around Cancun by bus. Buses are frequent and come every few minutes.  City buses travel up and down the Hotel Zone and into Downtown Cancun and the station there.  Not all city buses are air conditioned.  Driver will make change if you use pesos but USD are accepted.

What and how much will U.S. Customs allow me to bring back in the country?

U.S. Customs currently imposes an $800 limit per person ($1600 for U.S. Virgin Islands) on the value of goods you can bring into the country duty-free from most countries. This amount does vary depending on the particular country to which you travel. Also, you are restricted from bringing certain types of goods, (e.g. fresh fruits, vegetables) back into the U.S. Ask your travel agent for the latest details and remember to save receipts for purchases you made while on vacation.

Is it OK to Use my Cell Phone in the U.S Customs area?

It is not allowed. There are signs posted and they could confiscate your phone if they catch you using it.



  • Currently 3.5/5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5